MLS’s top 20 highest-paid players
The New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry is again the highest-paid player in MLS and one of only eight players making more than $1 million a year in guaranteed compensation, which includes a player’s base salary and all signing and guaranteed bonuses annualized over the term of the player’s contract, including option years.
Henry’s $4,350,000 in guaranteed compensation is down from $5,600,000 in 2012.
The only newcomer to MLS’s millionaires’ club is Nigerian Obafemi Martins, who signed with Seattle in March.
Only two Americans rank in the top 20: Landon Donovan, who makes $2,500,000, and Chris Wondolowski, who was rewarded for his 27 goals in 2012 with a Designated Player contract bumping his salary to $600,000.
Every MLS team except Chivas USA has at least three players earning $200,000 or more in guaranteed compensation.
The offseason changes at Chivas USA has resulted in a massive cutback in compensation. All four players making more than $200,000 or more a year last season were let go, leaving goalie Dan Kennedy as the highest-paid player at only $192,500 a year. Only two other players — Juan Agudelo ($175,000) and Tristan Bowen ($156,364) — make as much as $150,000 a year.
Top MLS Earners, 2013 Guaranteed Compensation:
COMPENSATION PLAYER, TEAM
- $4,350,000 Thierry Henry, New York
- $4,333,333 Robbie Keane, LA Galaxy
- $3,625,000 Tim Cahill, New York
- $2,500,000 Landon Donovan, LA Galaxy
- $1,937,508 Marco Di Vaio, Montreal
- $1,725,000 Obafemi Martins, Seattle
- $1,663,323 Dan Koevermans, Toronto FC
- $1,132,492 Kenny Miller, Vancouver
- $856,000 *Fredy Montero, Seattle
- $730,000 David Ferreira, FC Dallas
- $645,333 Dwayne De Rosario, D.C. United
- $604,000 Federico Higuain, Columbus
- $600,000 Chris Wondolowski, San Jose
- $599,333 Shalrie Joseph, Seattle
- $527,115 Sherjill MacDonald, Chicago
- $495,000 Kleberson, Philadelphia
- $456,250 Darren O’Dea, Toronto FC
- $453,333 Alvaro Saborio, Real Salt Lake
- $445,000 Kalifa Cisse, New England
- $400,000 Diego Valeri, Portland – *On loan to Millonarios (Colombia).
By Paul Kennedy