Chivas USA (3-2-1) fell, 1-0, Saturday night at The Home Depot Center to Western Conference rival the Colorado Rapids (2-3-2). The match’s lone goal came in the first half on a Deshorn Brown penalty kick. With the loss the Rojiblancos remain in second place with 10 points and a game in hand of first place FC Dallas.
- Colorado took the early lead in the seventh minute when Brown cashed in his second goal of the season after being awarded a penalty a minute earlier. As Brown pushed the ball inside the 18-yard box, the referee called a penalty on what he appeared to see as too much contact on the challenge.
- Chivas USA had a golden opportunity to equalize the match in the 36th minute when it was awarded a penalty kick of its own when forward Jose Correa was bumped by a Colorado player while going up for a ball near the short area. The Red-and-White, however, were unable to convert the penalty as Correa’s shot was sent off the crossbar.
- The Rojiblancos continued to get into dangerous spots in their attacking third. As the first half entered stoppage time, midfielder Eric Avila sent a cross from the right side into the box. Midfielder Jorge Villafaña headed the ball toward goal but the attempt was not on target. Forward Tristan Bowen gathered the loose ball on the right side of the short area near the end line and crossed it back to Laurent Courtois, who one-timed his shot over the crossbar.
- In the 58th minute, Avila again sent a cross from the right side near the short area. The initial entry pass was batted away in the air to an unmarked Courtois inside the box. The midfielder – who came on as a sub in the 31st minute – brought the deflected ball down off his chest and one-timed his strike, but the shot sailed over the crossbar.
- The Rojiblancos continued to knock on the door. In the 73rd minute, Courtois served a pass from the left side to midfielder Carlos Alvarez who was left with space momentarily on top of the 18-yard line. Alvarez’s right-footed curling shot, however, traveled over the crossbar.
- In the 83rd minute, midfielder Edgar “Chore” Mejia sent a free kick from about 35 yards out on the left seam and toward the far post. The entry was headed back toward the center of the box but the threat was turned away by Colorado goalkeeper Clinton Irwin. The Goats continued to push their numbers forward but were unable to get on the board, as stoppage time ran out and the 1-0 result stood.