2015 was a year that Leo Messi established his position as the greatest player of all time. He won the treble for the second time during his trophy laden career at Barcelona and is now widely expected to pick up the Ballon d’Or for the fifth time.
adidas, the leading brand in world soccer, also celebrated Messi in 2015 by making him the first player to receive his very own cleat, the Messi15. The best player of all time had the ultimate weapons, designed for his own unique style and talent.
Messi has inspired an entire generation of talented young soccer players and adidas Soccer today announces that ten stars of the future, playing in countries across the world have been ‘BACKED’ by Messi to become the first players to be part of Team Messi.
Team Messi is a global fan movement founded by adidas Soccer to celebrate Leo Messi and his standing as the greatest soccer player to ever grace this planet. As part of the ‘BACKED BY MESSI’ campaign, these ten players will update the world on their progress by filming their own content for a series of episodes on the adidas Football YouTube channel.
The ten players recruited to Team Messi are:
- Robert Kenedy (Chelsea FC, Brazilian)
- Maxwell Cornet (Lyon, French)
- Jeremie Boga (Rennes [on loan from Chelsea FC], French)
- Accursio Bentivegna (Como [on loan from Palermo], Italian)
- James Wilson (Manchester United, English)
- Timo Werner (VFB Stuttgart, German)
- Aleksey Miranchuk (Lokomotiv Moscow, Russian)
- Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy, American)
- Marcos Lopes (AS Monaco FC, Portuguese)
- Khiry Shelton (New York City FC, American)