Monday, October 23, 2017

YouTube: A New Scout For Liverpool?

January 30, 2012 by  
Filed under International, Premier League

Ever since American billionaire John Henry took over Liverpool, the Reds have been heavily involved in the transfer market; but the latest controversy in the camp involves the signing of Stewart Downing, which a source claims to have been made on the basis of a YouTube video.

 

The Reds chairman Tom Werner was quick to deny any such claim, and explained that the story comes as a result of an interview he gave along with the club’s managing director Ian Ayre where the former spoke about how the backroom staff had also seen doctored videos of Downing displaying an art of kicking the ball in trash cans.

Werner said, “It’s a great story, but unfortunately for the person who wrote the piece, it isn’t true.

“It actually comes from an interview I did five months ago with (Liverpool managing director) Ian Ayre for our club TV channel in which I said that when we first talked about signing Stewart, we’d found a video of him kicking footballs into some trash cans.

“I explained in that interview back in August we knew the footage had been doctored, but I guess that detail doesn’t really help stand up the story.

“The amount of people involved and the work that goes into a signing a player is huge so the suggestion that we’d buy someone on the back of one doctored video is ridiculous.”

Be sure to check out other great articles at SoccerPlay.net.

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.