Monday, December 11, 2017

CONCACAF Development Boss says support is there for T&T

April 28, 2013 by  
Filed under Specials

Association crest

[by Shaun Fuentes]

Concacaf Director of Development Hugo Salcedo believes that the run of recent developments and the timing could be right for the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation to enter a new pathway where it can embrace change and work towards good governance for the benefit of the local game.

Salcedo was speaking at the conclusion of the 28th CONCACAF Congress at the Westin Playa Hotel in Panama earlier this month.

He spoke on various issues, explaining that the TTFF could now work towards recovering from some of the matters that has plagued its growth for maybe a decade and more. He said it was important that all TTFF members and stakeholders work collectively towards a common vision.

“Basically the impact (findings of the CONCACAF Integrity Committee) is

Trinidad and Tobago team vs England at the 2006 World Cup.

very strong and very sad for all of us. But we all said it here that we have to put it aside and concentrate more on the future. I think that President Jeff Webb,our General Secretary Enrique Sanz and all of us are committed to the game and that’s the most important thing,” Salcedo told TTFF Media.

“We have already started the development programs and we are looking forward to it.. I personally have been involved for so many years, and I’m so happy that we have the opportunity to restart the new movement of this new era of Concacaf.”

Salcedo added that he was saddened by the revelations made by the CONCACAF Integrity Committee on matters involving former CONCACAF bosses and that had never heard of something so disloyal.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter and Concacaf President Jeffrey Webb last Friday at the Westin Playa Hotel in Panama

Trinidad and Tobago flag on display at a recent friendly international vs Peru in Couva, Trinidad

“No sadly no. I don’t want it to compare it with anything of the past. We hope that this will be the end. The only thing we can get out of it is for it to never happen again.”

He went on to add that the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation under President Raymond Tim Kee would have the support of the Confederation in moving forward, referring to the Senior Team’s qualification for the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup and the impressive showing of the Under 17 Men’s team at the CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers as promising signs.

“Absolutely the support will be there for you. Again the commitment is from all of us and not only from us in CONCACAF but if you saw today we have members of UEFA and FIFA and now this movement with Africa. There is tremendous support. We will not only like to give support to Trinidad and Tobago but also all of our forty members associations and they will not walk alone. We are going to be working together hand in hand,” added Salcedo who has over thirty years experience in executive positions with FIFA, CONCACAF, US Soccer and Major League Soccer.

The former FIFA Development Officer also touched on the news that the seven-year ongoing saga between the TTFF and the thirteen 2006 World Cup players is nearing closure.

“I hope that it will help the TTFF now. We hope that it can be resolved so not only your players that are involved in this situation but also your young players believe that they can be committed and in return they will get what they deserve and perhaps this is a lesson that will be learned,” added the 67-year-old Mexican born also played for the US team at the 1972 Olympics.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.